Saturday, July 24, 2004

I'M back!!! the OriEntation was a Blast... now I'm DRAINED....

From my observation, beetles go through a series of hyperactive and inactive periods before they finally rest. During their waking hours, the transitions between these periods are rapid and sudden.  That describes my behavior in the Hall orientation. 

The hall orientation was nothing that i've seen. On the first day of orientation, i was already drained from my activities on sunday. We played with water, flour, starch, soya sauce, eggs, and paints. Got all dirty and wet. The first day went by, i thought it was like other orientations that i've been to, so i've decided to excuse myself for a while and hid in my room to sleep.

After the first day, everything happened so fast. We went sentosa, aranda, town, and back to NTU, sleeping less than 5 hrs a day. There were many things to do and little time to rest. During our waking hours, people who dozed off would be awaken by the rest of the group singing yippe aiai yippie yippie ai. Being tired was strictly not allowed. I must admit that sometimes i felt anger because i had to sacrifice my sleep for cheers and games, i had to keep control.

The rest of the people were filled with enthusiasm, so much that i couldn't catch up most of the time. But i didn't want to be a spoilsport, so i just followed motion lots of times. We had a cheer fight on our last night and we had to act fierce, i thought that was really dumb but since everyone else put in so much effort, i couldn't just think of myself.

During the orientation, the focus was to bond us together. They tried to make us think that touching lips and sharing saliva were gentle gestures. We shared crackers mouth to mouth and spit soya bean into each other's mouth. Speaking of which, sharing the soya bean was really disgusting, luckily i was the 2nd person along the chain.

The highlight of the orientation was the last night. We were all blindfolded and the seniors played with us for the duration of the night. One of them asked me to pick mentos from the toilet bowl. The other senior, who claimed to be my friendly neighbour, cracked an egg on my head.

After orientation ended, i wasn't particularly relieved or sad. But i must say that i really aprreciate the seniors' effort. They were the ones who cleaned up the mess after we played.

It was overall something worth remembering. I'm glad i've made good friends in the orientaion. 

Anyway, i think i wouldn't have time to slack anymore. After sch starts, staying in hall will just be another commitment.