Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From the way it was written, Tuesday with Morrie was probably a true story. That's something worth noting because it was both real and logical, considering most real things aren't really logical.

Its most important lesson (at least for me) was about dealing with emotions. This would be a really strange subject to me in the younger days because I did not experience enough back then to know much about it. I had little patience with people who let emotions get the better of them and I always had the disillusion that I was more matured. When I did go through something unpleasant, it was a shock that I didn't do better than the people I used to look down on. That changed me a little, and strangely, it was for the better. It made me feel more complete.

The advice in the book was this (Not exactly but here's my interpretation): Everyone goes through all sorts of emotions. Anger, misery, self-pity, jealousy and hatred are some of which we always want to avoid. However in reality, we do experience them because we're human and there isn't really a point trying to convince yourself otherwise. Instead, learn from it and evolve. Let the emotion go through you, see what it does, see how it started, but keep a mind on what's happening. When you do that, you learn what it is about and the next time you'll manage it better.

And somehow I link this to a phrase that I like very much: "The only way not to make mistake is to do nothing, which in our time, is the biggest mistake of all." This isn't telling you to make mistakes diberately (for people planning to rob a bank), but rather, it's about not giving up dreams because you want to avoid the consequences of failing. Yes you may fail, and everyone definitely will at some point of time, yes you'll be sorry, yes things may not work for you... and at the end of it, you have something valuable. You've sailed through a storm and you'll be stronger for another one.

I wasn't many things I wanted to be, and for most of them, I still am not. But there's never a doubt that someday I will, because I'm willing to move out of my comfort zone now. Because I no longer care if I'll fail. Because I'll spend the rest of my life wondering if I don't work for what I want

And....... this is my thought for tonight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home