Monday, January 31, 2005

Army daze

Sorry for not using something original...

Dunk.. thanks for your insightful comments. I'm sure Ns is more than beneficial to most people. It was a little different for me back then, i call it the darkest days of my life to date. Some may argue that even in the darkest times, valuable lessons can be learnt... hmm... what if you were raped? ok... not that serious... i'm just making a point there. I did learn a thing or two in NS, but the whole thing did not change me to a better person. Perhaps I should talk about my NS life.

To prove my point, i'll type in the whole thing in green and see whether it'll irritate

Unlike most of my friends, I was enlisted into PES E scheme after an episode of epilepsy. That changed my life in some aspects, mainly restricting the activities that i do. I cannot donate my blood for the rest of my life for the needles may trigger an attack. I cannot go diving or rockclimbing without supervision. I was not allowed to hold a rifle.

Hence, I worked in CMPB as a clerk, doing filing and data entry everyday. Life wasn't as bad as i used to tell my friends, the only thing that was unbearable was the small amount of allowance i had to live on and the fact that all my other friends were in combat unit. My pride was hurt badly. A week into enlistment and i immediately asked for an upgrade, and was finally upgraded after a year.

BMTC was more than what i could ask for. After being persistent and pesky to the MOs and finally having my dream true, I was deteermined to work hard in BMTC. Though I knew it was unlikely that i would go OCS, i was still pinning onto that little hope that they may consider me. I badly wanted to be an officer. Hopes dashed after BMT, when i found I was not chosen for OCS.
My Sgt then told me that i would be given another chance in Sispec (stands for suffer in silence plus endless confinements). Far from what i was told, Sispec was the most pleasant place in my NS days. With my instructors all understanding and my hard work being recognised. I thought that i could cross over to OCS then as i met the grades... however, my PC told me that i had too little time left, he would not put me on interview unless i sign on. I've decided against it.

ok... now in dirty green... the darkest of my NS days

And so, I was dumped to a remote corner of the country. At first it was not that bad. It was until i decided i've done quite enough for the country and i needed the last few months to plan for my civilian life outside NS. I needed the break that was my entity, which to their dismay, crashed with the training schedule. hm.... I'll not go into details, let's just say i was dumped around and saw many dark sides of the organisation.

I blame the organisation for many of my bad habits that i'm trying hard to change. Like learning how to siam and being irresponsible.