Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The morning Sun

6.50a.m...

I'm seldom awake at this time. Usually i'll be resting from a tiring game of warcraft or grasping my last hr of sleep before a lecture.

Since i'm quite awake after a 27hrs sleeping marathon since CNY eve, I'm very observant to the surroundings, particularly the colour of the sky. To my surprise, the world outside my window is still covered in darkness, I would expect the sun to rise before 6.30.

This reminds me of a very important observation i made since secondary sch, times when i have to wake before the sun. The sun does not rise at the same time everyday. It may not be news to others, but it was shocking for me, for i have always considered the sun to be a reliable determinant of time. When I was younger, I could tell time by judging the position of the sun, or the shadow of the window grills it casted onto the blackboard. The ability went away when i switched to more reliable methods like wearing a watch. Since then, I'll only think of the sun when i need a tan or when i need to dry my clothes.

However, even though it is not moving in accordance to the clock, it has its own period to follow. It is usually late at the beginning of the year, refusing to wake before 7. Throughout the days that follow, it becomes more hardworking and rises earlier. In september, the first ray can emerge as early as 6.20am. (that is quite disturbing as the rising of the sun signifies the start of a new day of chores and work for me, extremely unpleasant especially when I was taking my time to brush my teeth.)

If you don't agree with me, go see for yourself. Even if you're not an early bird, you can observe the sun as it sets. If you bother that is.