Thursday, February 09, 2006

We are idiots

The other day, ZZJ was telling me about friendly Japanese girls and his adventures in the land of the rising sun. He was talking so passionately as if his heart had never returned with him. It was quite evident especially when he said:"Japanese or none"

Upon hearing his adventures, the surroundings suddenly turned to be a big contrast. We'll never be able to talk to strangers in singapore. Most people even save on the "excuse me" while they push their way through crowds.

We were still complaining about Singapore's society when this lady approached us. Knowing Singapore, our instinct quickly told us to siam. The lady quickened her pace to catch up with us, pretended to chat abit, and true to our expectation, tried to sell us insurance. Our brains flashed the big "F*CK OFF" in bright red while our mouths only managed to say "I'm sorry, but we're really in a hurry."

My friend's blog described how he was being picked up by a girl, only to find that the girl was a reporter doing an article on HOW GUYS RESPOND TO PICK UPS.

This is the problem of singapore's culture. We're taught to be too self-centred and too defensive. It is commonly recognised that the ones who approach are with motives, usually negative. The ones who get approached usually respond coldly, afraid to fall into trap.

There was once, I saw a monk near my place. He stretched out his hand and tried to pass me an amulet while saying "for peace." Being Singaporean of the skeptical nature, I said "No thanks" frantically and quickly walked past the monk. I was guilt-ridden in the next few hours because I had turned down a man who only wished to spread happiness. I was disgusted by my behaviour and I decided that I should be friendly to approaches (at least of this nature) the next time.

A few days later, I saw the same monk in my path again. He did not seem to remember me and he stretched out his amulet in the well-intended fashion. This time, I took the amulet and thanked him profusely, though I had little faith in what amulets can do. The monk smiled even sweeter and he took out a donation booklet, asking me to donate. I donated $2 to him and he had the cheeks to say it wasn't enough. So much for trying to be friendly. That incident made me believe that it won't hurt if you just ignore.

Ok. Wrong attitude. It should be, it won't hurt to be more careful. Really, doing a simple survery which requires your number for future verifications can lead to numerous calls from insurance companies. Acquaintances who call up suddenly to meet for lunch may be trying to get you to join their MLM company. Even the monk in the above case couldn't ask for donations directly and properly.

Hence, I never like to approach people lest they think I'm a wolf. I know this is something I must really change and I can't. I like to blame the society instead of myself.