Sunday, June 15, 2008

Crossing Shanghai

I was very fortunate to meet two other NTU students at the taxi stand and we shared a cab to the area near Fudan. It was a one hour ride from Pudong airport which was a good chance to see the city. In Shanghai, you can see clusters of tall buildings in the midst of short buildings. The new buildings were also built between the old buildings. The distribution seemed random and interesting.

The bridges were huge. When the cab went under one of those, it blocked the entire sky. The traffic was very smooth at 11pm. We could see the big trucks coming out of the construction areas with giant piles of mud. The mud spilled onto the road in big chunks, and we could hear Splash as they impacted the ground.

It was like watching a dinosaur shitting and I have no idea why I enjoyed that.
The road was very reflective when it’s wet. Apparently, Shanghai had been raining all day before we arrived and the cab driver told us that it would probably be raining for a week. That was bad news because it meant I could not run around as much as I wanted to.

The cab turned into one of the streets, and the new friends got out of the cab. Then it took another few turns and I got out in front of an apartment building. From a distance, I heard someone calling out for me, “Zhongyi?”

And then I saw a dark figure emerged from the surrounding darkness. Mr Dark was still pretty dark after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home