Friday, March 18, 2005

gin nah!!!

Yesterday's gathering confirmed my favourite theory. My bmt mates who are still in the army have not change a bit since i last saw them. Patrict still has that silly smile, that adorable blur look; eugene still the outspoken lao da who derives pleasure from verbally challenging the rest of us; aaron is still wearing the comical smile; nich stayed quiet while trying hard to translate our singlish conversation to something he can comprehend. Those who are still in the army remain who they were.

While ppl who have left the army transformed greatly, the transformation goes in 2 directions... progressing forward and moving backwards. Kok, my bmt buddy, who needed me to bring him around at night cos he suffers from night blindness (and i've led him to fall into a few trenches after me cos my vision is not that good either), is now a dashing programmer who clubs and party at night. As for me, i've moved in the other direction and now look like a SI GIN NAH of age 15 years old. My bmt mates were all laughing at the irony of this as me and my buddy were once similar.

Many times, i was asked for my IC for a nc16 show, for a bottle of vodka orange, for the entrance of a club... etc, And my friends (many who are still in army) always laugh at me until i take out my IC (something which they miss dearly). But the ultimate triumph over my friends means nothing to me, for their problem is tempory, but mine is long term. I don't understand how a 22 yo can look like a 15 yo.

And whenever i complain to some ppl about this, they'll dismiss it with some jokes. " oh please, don't be flattered by that"... blah blah blah..... some told me that it is a good thing to look young. Yes, i agree... but it's ot a good thing to look like a si gin nah.

I recall being questioned in a school i've did relief teaching in by the discipline master who mistook me for one of the students in home clothings. I recall taking a group of students who thought i'm near their age and refused to listen to me. I recall having difficulties applying for jobs as they have doubts about my capability without even looking at my qualifications or speaking to me.

It's hard to live a 22yo life like a 15 yo.

I guess i can't do much about how i look. I can only convince ppl that the appearance is deceiving, I may look like a si gin nah, but my ability is way above that level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home