Wednesday, May 25, 2005

NPCC

I'm more depressed in my holidays than the time I'm doing my exams.

I spend every waking minute thinking about where to find more lecturers, who to send emails, what to send in the emails, who to call, what to say blah blah blah.... there is much work to be done before the actual LMSC courses.

For your information, LMSC is the thing that depressed me during exams as well. It's just getting more depressing now, with people complaining that we're not doing our job. I think I have to reconsider the value of this whole thing.

The whole NPCC organisation is flawed. Firstly, Job allocation isn't fair. Some people take all the shit while others MIA totally. Secondly, there's not much recognition or acknowledgment to what we're giving. Can you believe I've only earned 3 CCA points for all the time, effort and money I've committed?? Thirdly, there is too much internal politics and conflict.

I begin to question myself why I'm joining NPCC again. I'm always proud to be in NPCC, especially when I'm in secondary school. It was the strongest ECA in my school and everybody else looked up to NPCC cadets. We were fitter and more mature than the average (or at least the perception was that). Other than the pride, NPCC changed a big part of me into what I am today, and I like that change. I owed NPCC alot and I always want to contribute back to this organisation.

However, joining the cca again at this level turns out to be totally different from what I had expected. We're kept busy so that we won't have time to go back to our alma mater. We have to organise events that are ongoing even when all other ccas step down for exams. We organise events that make everyone else unhappy. And NOBODY appreciates what NPCC do.

I don't understand why a chinese new year adhoc earns you 20 points while organising a nation wide camp earns you nothing at all.

I have to question the existence of HOs. They seem to exist so that teacher officers and staff officers can conveniently push their job to them. But has anyone ever try to fight for the HOs, understand that they have a whole load of modules and other activities in campus while handling all the NPCC stuffs? Handling NPCC stuffs alone is bad enough, imagine we have to join other ccas to earn cca points.

It's ironic. I had always thought that NPCC had taught me organizational skills, while it is the exact same thing that the organisation is lacking.

To make matters worse, NPCC officers don't share the comradeship anymore. All the years of training had transformed everyone into egoistic, over-confident and arrogant brats, thinking that him/her is most capable and the fault lies with everyone else. There's no more mutual support, no more common understanding. People come and screw you when there feel insecure of their own job.

As compared to the people that I work with (except for the few who are really outstanding), I really prefer the juniors who are still capable yet humble. I hope they don't grow to be like us.